Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing COM+ package on Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawalter

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
US
I created a COM+ package for distribution. I can install it fine on NT4 and on some Win2000 machines, but on some Win2000 workstations I get an "Error registering COM+ application" message. I tried doing the Windows update to make sure the system had all the newest patches and it still didn't work. The strange thing is there is a different program that also uses COM+ and it can install on machines that my package can't, but I don't see any difference in how the two packages were created.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

Dear ;

Which option did you select on the first sceen of the Export package wizard i.e. Application export Information and there are two options i.e. Server Application and Application proxy. You should select the second option. What did you select. Please check it out.

Regards,
Essa Mughal

I did selected proxy. I know this because I did it wrong the first time and the packages wouldn't work anywhere. Thanks though.

I, too, am getting this msg. My COM+ server is running successfully and can be accessed locally. After running the export procedure (and selecting app proxy client), I tried copying the resultant MSI file to another WIN2K box and installing it. That's when I get the "Error registering COM+ application" msg.

Do I need to copy the actual application DLL onto the client machine? All I've done is copy/install the MSI (or, at least, try to!).

I too have a similar problem.
Let me First Explain What i want.
I have compiled and created the (VB) components on a XP W/s. Have exported the components (server) and this need to be deployed on a Server.
When i try to deploy these components on the Server (win2K) i get an error.
But the same component works if run from the same W/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back