Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing CLAN Card, Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBarrnes

MIS
Jul 12, 2004
US
I want to get my switch on the LAN with Avaya Site Administrator. Once I get the ,CLAN card installed, how do I configure it to be accessible through ASA? Also, would it be better to have a PC in the switch room that I can PC Anywhere into rather than connecting the switch directly to the LAN?
Thanks TJ

Switch admin via TCP/IP became available in G3V9. Prior to that you cannot use a C-LAN board. Assuming that your switch is V9 or later, do the following:

Obtain a static IP address for the C-LAN board.

Do 'change node-names ip' and create a node 'clan' with the static address.

Do 'add ip-interface'. Put in the slot of the C-LAN board and the node name as defined. Include the gateway (router) information. Enable the interface.

Add a data module 'add data next'. The port is the C-LAN slot using port 17. The link is any spare processor link.

Do 'change ip-services' and add 'SAT', enabled = 'y', local node = the node-name created for the C-LAN board, port = any port above 5000 (use 5023), remote port = any, remote port = 0.

Use the same port in ASA and it should work.

Kevin

As far as physical plugs and connections on the switch, do I need adapters of any kind coming off the CLAN board.....and is port 17 something I need to look for on the back of the CLAN card or just in software? Sorry, if my questions are a little basic....I haven't done this before.

You need a network cable from the C-Lan to your network switch.

C-Lan port 17 - just in the software on the switch.

When setting up ASA you enter in the IP address, choose an emulator, (I use 513) and enter a port number (I use 5023 for the switch, and 23 for voice mail - but these could be different at your site). Of course login and password.

Don't forget you also need an amphenol to RJ45 connector on that slot (back of the PBX). Depending on the vintage of the connector, you may also require a cross-over cable.

Scott M.

I plugged in the card in a slot (01E12) that used to be a digital card. The red light came on and flashed for a few seconds, then went away, then the amber light flased and became solid. It seemed normal, but then after a few seconds the amber light goes out too. When I do a list con st now it doesn't list the CLAN card. It goes from 01E11 to 01E13.
Do I need to do anything to enable the card or do I have a bad card?
Thanks TJ

Like srmega41 said - the Amphenol to RJ45 would need to be installed in the back of your cabinet first. I believe this has a rainbow colored cable on it. Normally this is work for a tech because the back-plane needs to be removed and depending on how sensitive your wiring is could cause downtime.

I think this is the part #700234032 "Def Kit Twisted pair cbl for 100mbps".

I found an FAQ on this:

Ok, here is a step-by-step for you (some is repetition of what has already been stated):

[ol]
[li]Insert the circuit pack into an available slot in your port network.[/li]
[li]From the terminal, log in and issue the following command: LIST CONFIGURATION ALL[/li]
[li]Write down the location of your C-LAN, you will need this later.[/li]
[li]Install the amphenol to ethernet adapter (259A). Connect the adapter to ethernet switch via a CAT5 cable.[/li]
[li]Obtain a static IP Address for the C-LAN.[/li]
[li]From the terminal, issue this command: CHANGE NODE-NAMES IP[/li]
[li]In the IP Node Names screen, enter the name (usually CLAN) and the IP Address you obtained in step 5.[/li]
[li]From the terminal, issue this command: CHANGE IP-INTERFACE.[/li]
[li]In the IP-Interfaces screen, leave the Enable Eth Pt to N, enter the type of C-LAN, the CCcSS (CC is Cabinet, c is carrier, SS is slot) from step 3, the Node-Name from step 7, the subnet mask, default gateway, and a network region (usually 1).[/li]
[li]From the terminal, issue this command: ADD DATA-MODULE (Either use NEXT for the next available extension or enter a specific extension.)[/li]
[li]In the Data Module screen, enter the type of Ethernet, the port of CCcSS17 (CC is Cabinet, c is carrier, SS is slot) and an available processor link.[/li]
[li]From the terminal, issue this command: CHANGE IP-SERVICES[/li]
[li]In the IP-Services screen, enter a service type of SAT, leave enabled as N, enter the local Node-Name from step 7, a port over 5000 (5023 is the standard for CM), and the remote node of "any".[/li]
[li]Now the C-LAN is set up, but not activated.[/li]
[li]From the terminal, issue this command: CHANGE IP-INTERFACE and change the "N" in the Enable Eth Pt field to "Y".[/li]
[li]From the terminal, issue this command: CHANGE IP-SERVICES and change the "N" in the Enabled field to "Y".[/li]
[li]Now, launch ASA and configure a connection. Make sure that you specify the IP Address from step 3 and the port from step 13.[/li]
[/ol]

I hope this helps!

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

Thank You for your the listing.It will help!
I'm just wondering if I've got a bad CLAN card.

Toni269 et all,

Is there a certain version that you need to have to be able to Clan into audix? I have a clan card installed, and it works great to get into my G3, but not for audix. It's in a separate cabinet, is that the problem? Currently, I'm using dial-up for Audix admin.

Your Audix needs to have a network card installed.
I just finished a project like this it cost about 7k Including a new C-LAN card, implementation, swapping out the cable in the back of the PBX and I think there is an RTU cost.

I dont think you are going to be able to access the old Definity audix via the web. I am pretty sure the Intuity audix were the first "Audix" you could IP connect to using ASA.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back