Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Caldera 2.2 without a CD Rom 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrome007

Programmer
Dec 10, 2003
US
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to dual boot with win98. I've copied the entire Caldera Openlinux 2.2 CD to my hard drive because I have an old laptop with only a floppy drive, I have a external USB DVD drive to it, which isn’t recognized by Linux. I’ve already created a Linux partition. My question is, is there a way for me to make the installation search my hard drive? When I do it "skips" or I received "a valid install source could not be found". Please help!

Thanks!

I would say move to another version of linux. Caldera = SCO = Evil. Most modern versions of Linux will support USB cd/dvd drives.

Thanks ianicr, you're probably right. I've been hearing alot of about Mandrake is it as simple as stated. I simple need Linux for the C compiler, I'm studying C++. Any suggestion where to free version?

I will toss in a 'me-too' on the Mandrake. It's served me well on the desktop (Debian is my server/work-horse choice though). Mandrake's 'urpmi' makes managing packages a whole lot easier when it comes to when it comes to the dependancy hell you can run into. The default Galaxy themed desktop works well for me (not sure if Mandrake does KDE or Gnome by default). The hardware detection works effortlessly on the three desktops I have here. I don't hesitate to recommend Mandrake to anyone looking for a desktop distro.

Let the flames begin ;-)

----
JBR

Thanks! I'll definitely check out Mandrake.

Although if you need linux for C, you could consider doing without a GUI - it'll certainly ease the strain on an old processor :)

If you decide to do without a GUI, I'd suggest debian. Emacs is one of the available text editors.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

good grief manarth, we can't have both a best-distro and a best-text-editor debate in the same thread. yeesh.

besides, everyone knows vi absolutely
Code:
0wNz
emacs ;-)

----
JBR

*cough* vi is good for you...

*runs away*

If you need a C/C++ compiler then there are a lot of free out there. Like DJGPP(basically a DOS port of GCC), MingW32(Windows), Cygwin...

Search for them on google. Also, DevC++ is an IDE for MingW32. But it can be configured for other compilers as well =)

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

I use DevC++ and it's pretty good most of the time. If you don't feel like pirating or shelling out big bucks for VC++ i would reccommend it. It did a funny thing and made an executable that locked up my system on an UpdateWindow call the other day on the same code that compiled through VC++ and worked fine. I dunno, maybe one of the header files just corrupted on download or something. It also has somekind of a conflict with ldoldap or something like that. (it doesn't actually say so but all i kno is the compiler wont run until i CTRL-ALT-DEL that program - win98 only) It's also got a kewl OpenGl example too. The code-completion's kind of crappy, but hey - it's better than edit.com or notepad.

Yeah, i would reccommend it. (if anyone's found anything better please let me kno!=)

----------------------------------------------

MasterPi

Yes I have found something better. Its called notepad =P

*runs like hell and hides under the carpet*

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

I use DevC++ it works pretty well, except when working with pointers. It will slow the system. I actually got rid of Caldera (Thanks for all the great advice) and installed Redhat 7. It downloaded with ease!

Later

&quot;The meek shall inherit the earth!&quot;

Do you mean the IDE(DevC++) slows down the program execution? Which target platform are you talking about?

You should know DevC++ is the ide while mingw32 is the default compiler for it.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back