Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing apache on windows xp 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoghanhynes

Programmer
May 19, 2005
IE
hi;

I've been tryin to install Apache2.0.54 to host a web site on my PC with a DSL line. I can see my web page from MY PC ONLY using my local IP. I cannot see my web page remotely.
My ISP gives me a different IP every time I turn on my PC and network adapter. For the moment, I just want to use IP addresses to check if it works before getting a domain name.
My question is, when installing Apache, which ip do i put in the Network Domain and Server Name fields?? or do i need to buy a domain name straight off?

Thanx;
Eoghan.

I did exactly that, my domain name is eoghan.servebeer.com and i put that in the server name field, do i put the same in the domain name filed (which i did b4).

If so, it aint workin, and my ISP says they allow servers and dont block any traffic.

Maybe i should try changing ports??

any help is greatly appreciated.

eoghan.

Do you have any firewalls/routers/NATs enabled? If it's working locally and not externally, that's one other thing.

eoghanhynes said:
I can see my web page from MY PC ONLY using my local IP.

By "local IP", do you mean your LAN IP (192.168.x.x)? If so, it sounds like the problem is port forwarding on your router, or lack thereof.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Ok; when I run IpConfig from the dos command line i get:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

This PC has a LAN NIC, but it is deactive. I am not on a LAN, just connected straight to the Internet via DSL. I have thought port forwarding might be a problem, but I dont know what to do about it? How do I 'Port Forward'?

You need to login to your router and set up Port Forwarding or Virtual Servers (some call it the former, some the latter.)

It is different from router to router, so you will have to look up in the manual how to login to it and change settings.

eoghanhynes,

As I suspected, your DSL modem is providing DHCP and NAT to your computer. You should consult the documentation for the DSL modem that you have and be sure to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.1.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

WoooHooooo;

That was it dudes. Its kind of a modem/router i have. The manufacturers call it a modem but it has DHCP and NAT. Its NAT that is the firewall, so, yeah, I had to do port forwarding. I had to configure the ROUTER to host HTTP servers on port 8080 so not to conflict with browers i have but its ok, the user doesn't have to append :8080 to the end of my domain,

which is eoghan.servebeer.com by the way, which i got for FREE. goto to get up to 5 free dynamic DNSs.

So, Thanks a lot dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back