Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing an external CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 9, 2001
GB
I am trying to install an external SCSI CDRW drive onto a E3500. I think I need to use the devfsadm command as the server is running Solaris 8.

Could someone point me in the right direction of what class and options I need to use? Does devfsadm effect anything currently running or can it be used safely whilst running with users logged on?

Many thanks for any help

Before you try anything else, have you tried rebooting the box with boot -r?

This reconfigures the box as it comes up and might well pick up the new drive. An alternative is to create an empty file called reconfigure in the / directory and bounce the box with shutdown -i6 -g -y, which should have the same effect. HTH.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to avoid a reboot due to the nature of the server.being 24/7.

I read that in Solaris 8 devfsadm allows a device to be added without a reboot.Has anyone used this method?

devfsadm is a new single device command in Solaris 8, replacing having to do the following three commands:

drvconfig
devlinks
disks (or "tapes" or "ports")

It should pick up any correctly installed hardware and configure the required devices for it.

In Solaris 8 the above 3 commands are links to devfsadm and they should still work in the same way.

Just run "dvfsadm -v" and that should do it all for you (and show you what it is doing).

N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back