Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a Web Statistics CGI scipt to a REMOTE webhost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svoltmer

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
US
I know nothing about CGI and server side scripting. I need to install a detailed web statistics cgi script on my remote webserver, but I have no clue how to go about doing that. All instructions for every cgi script intallation assume that you have the server locally or at least are the admin. Help Please?

Hi

svoltmer said:
I know nothing about CGI and server side scripting.
And we know nothing about your host, web server, access and permissions.

Until you give us more details, this is the most simple case :
[ul]
[li]connect to the server through FTP[/li]
[li]copy the CGI scripts into the cgi-bin directory[/li]
[li]give read and execute permissions for them[/li]
[/ul]
Of course, you may not be allowed to do any or all the above steps. Or the web server could be configured to work somehow different. Or there is no module/interpreter installed for the scripting language in which those statistics CGI is written. Or anything else.

Feherke.

I am hosted on a Linix server running Apache 1.3 I have access to the cgi-bin and have the ability to change file permissions on those directories.

I have uploaded the peal script to the cgi-bin and by directing my brower to the awstats.pl script I am able to see the html output of the script....except that when I try to update the statistics from the page I get the error:

"Error: Couldn't open server log file "../logs/access_log" : No such file or directory

Setup ('./awstats. file, web server or permissions) may be wrong.
Check config file, permissions and AWStats documentation (in 'docs' directory)."

I have tried so many directory combinations to get the "logs" directory, but nothing is working. All I can tell you is that "logs" is in the highest directory I have access to along with the "cgi-bin" and my domain html files. I don't know what else to try. Any Help Please? Thanks!

Sorry, It's Unix Server running Apache.

../logs/access_log

you're expecting the access/error logs to be available off your webroot directory ... just kidding ;-)

try setting the path to /var/log/httpd/ ... not saying it'll work for you, but it works for me ;-)

It may require some tricking about, but fun's fun, eh?

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back