Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a Second Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamire

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
RW
I installed a second processor which gave me the ntkernal error and as such was forced to smart start the server. Now I want to put again the second processor. Can some help me on how to do this.

In Technet they say you use SSD 2.65 Disk to install the second processor. What is this disk they are refering to. Might it be the Smart Start.

what Operating System do you have? NT4 Server?

Windows NT 4.0 with SP6a and the machine is a Compaq ML530

go to and get the utility. a helpfile is included.

make sure to have the latest BIOs installed before adding the second CPU. Some older BIOS versions will have problems with different CPU-steppings.

Upgrade the HAL to uni processor, reboot, install the second cpu. if the cpu's are having different stepping rates ( very likely, when bought at different times), make sure the one with the lowest stepping rate is in slot 0.

make sure to reapply the MS Servicepack + afterwards the support pack BEFORE the next reboot. should be fine by then.

Alternatively you can use NTSSD, which were delivered with Smartstart cd version less then 5, to upgrade the HAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back