Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a repeater problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevridge

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2014
US
I have about 12 lines that are over the 90 meter limit for cat5e. I installed a 48 port managed switch in the middle of the cable runs and started splitting the lines and putting on RJ45 leads to plug them into the switch. I am getting no link lights when I plug them in. Is this the incorrect way to do it?

Stephen

Should work but kinda overkill if everything is on the same network. One from the server would feed the 12.

Might be well to get a tester to see if you have continuity and wired correctly. Wear confortable shoes, that is a lot of walking to move the tester around.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Did you use a patch panel in the mid-run "splitting" ? If not, are you sure the 8p8c connectors are rated for solid wire ? I may misunderstand, but to me it sounds like you are cutting the solid 4 pair cables mid-run and terminating with 8p8c connectors and plugging them into your switch. Some are dual cable rated, but if you try to put 8p8c's made for stranded cable onto solid cable, especially if you use a generic crimp tool, you can easily expect all kinds of flaky connectivity problems from incomplete insulation displacement pierces.

Do yourself a favor. If the wire mapping is good, do a real deal test on all runs with a Fluke. Make sure it passes within what you are trying to do. As you know, the wire map can be fine, but failure on the cert. Thanks.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Thanks for the tips guys.... well I found my issue and it was pretty much pebkac. I had a brain meltdown it appears and was wiring the ends exactly backwards. Saw it when I came in this morning and slapped myself in the forehead. Now I get link lights, but it has now turned into a looping issue. I'm unable to get into the web interface to configure spanning tree.

On a side note I am doing this due to having a company come in and check the lines and they are too long. They will be coming back out when i'm done to check and make sure I don't need to redo any.

Do you realize that you need to connect each cable that goes toward a PC or end device, but only ONE cable that goes toward the next switch? If you connected all "ends", regardless of their destination, that would result in wicked looping.

> Do you realize that you need to connect each cable that goes toward a PC or end device, but only ONE cable that goes toward the next switch? If you connected all "ends", regardless of their destination, that would result in wicked looping.

This...

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

I would have quessed that the managed switch would have segregated the signal paths. That is the purpose of using one, defining one path between any two devices.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well I did not have spanning tree turned on. So i'm guessing that was the big issue. I will try it again tomorrow when I have fewer users online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back