Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a parallel card

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsbh

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2001
US
I've installed a parallel card and it should be named LPT4, but the computer is not giving it that name. It just lists it as a Printer Port. The card did install properly, but the computer won't give it a proper port name.

Does anybody know how to force the computer to name it LPT4? I have gone into the win.ini file and typed in LPT4 under the [Ports] heading, but it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

I can only speak from the days of old. There were only 3 setting for lpt ports to the best of my knowledge. They were 3BC(LPT1) 378(LPT2) and 278(LPT3). If a parallel card with a 278 address was installed in a PC the PC recognized it as LPT1. If you installed another card at 378 then it would be LPT1 and the card set to 278 would be LPT2. To be recognized as LPT4 would have to be 3 other parallel ports in the system. If there is another way around this it would be through a special vendor specific driver for the parallel card. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
s-tomlin@mindspring.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back