Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a new SLR5 tape drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1north

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2007
CA
I am looking after a new site that has never had a tape backup working on it. ITs CP, 201i, running 2.02 on an OPT11c running 25.13

They had a regular scsi cable (same as the older mermail) hooked up directly from the card to the tape drive. This does not go through any other cable at the bottom of the cabinet.

I tried to reboot the server but it didnt recognize the drive. I replaced with a known good and it still doesnt recognize the SLR5 drive. When I try to run the backup it imediatly says backup failed.

Is there any other tests I can do to see if this system sees the drive? Will this setup work with the one cable? Do I need the secondary cable that I have seen on the other pilots?

Thx

on the server right click my computer go to manage devices
on the modem disable then enable the modem.also
does the server have pcanywhere installed on it?

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

strmwalker, what does dis/enb the modem have to with this? The modem works fine. Also, I do have PCAnywhere installed.

Thx

it re-initiates the modem port.if that does not work
you will have to download the drivers.you are working
with a tandburg drive?

strmwalker

make sure you have the right id on the tape drive. its either 3 or 5. the ones i had also included the cd rom drive which connects to the cp svr and the tape drive connects to the cd rom.

Yes, Tandberg SLR5 with ID 5...no CD

M1north..sorry i don't know what the h3ll i was thinking
to tell you to look at the modem port.anyway the scsi
id would be 5 and connect the bottom port of the tandburg
drive to the callpilot server.

strmwalker

Strmwaqlker. I have already done this with a known good tape drive and it still wont do the backup. It keeps saying backup failed. I need to know if I am doing this correctly using a SCSI cable from a mermail system directly on the card? Otherwise, I`m not sure what else to check.

Thx

can tell me what type of tape you are using and what size
tape it sound like you are using a slr4 tape.

strmwalker

I didnt know they were different...Using 2.5 GIG

there is the callpilot likes the slr5-8gb

strmwalker

the 2.5 gig tape should work in the slr5 tape drive. and yes there is a difference...before you toss that tape thinking it was corrupted make sure you have the right tape for the right drive. we have both the 4 and the 5 and some of the techs have made backups using one but trying to restore with the other and it won't work. try id 3 which is what the cd rom would be. you should have a cd rom drive, thats the only way you can load/ghost the 201i. the scsi cable goes to the cdrom and the tape drive cable goes to the cdrom. the 2 cables are different.

This has been resolved. The driver for the tape drive was not installed on the server. Also, I had to run SLR5 8GIG tapes and format them first before it would run the backup.

Also note there is a bulletin released (years ago) that you have to remove a jumper off the drive in order for it to work properly.

Thx for all the replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back