Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing a network printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkbmn

Technical User
Jul 31, 2004
US
i have problems installing a network printer, i get this message everytime i try "Please power cycle your printer and, if applicable, the external Jetdirect print server", someone help me out here

Since you're new here, here's a few tips:

It is helpful to give as many details as possible. Since you mention JetDirect I presume it's a HP printer. Some can be:
Have you tried turning off and unplugging the printer for 10 seconds or so as it says? Does it help?
Which model printer is it?
Is the JetDirect an external box?
Do you have this problem on just one computer or has it failed on others too?
If problem is unique to one computer, which OS version is it?
What have you installed for the printer?
JetDirect can try to setup with DHCP to get an IP address.
Which IP does it get?
Is your printer driver trying to connect to the printer by IP or by name?
What exactly are you trying to do that triggers the message?

Thanks dbMark, for the comments, my printer is a HP Laserjet 1200 series PCL, i tried turning it off and on but that did not help it. The error was the same. This problem is unique to my computer , other people on the network can connect to the printer without any trouble, i used to connect to this printer before using my computer, but at one a time i had to reinstall my OS which windows XP professional, since then , i havent been successful in connecting to this printer again. I cant tell whether the JetDirect is an external box or not, since i have no clue what the JetDirect is!! I have tried connect to the printer using the IP address and the shared printer name but that does not help either. I have tried to connect to the printer through the add printer wizard and also the CD that came with the printer but has not worked either. I get the mesaage everytime i try installing or connecting to this printer. I have no other printer drivers intsalled in my computer. If you figure it please let me know. Thanks

Do you have any internet firewall stuff turned on? Norton's software for "protecting" your computer also blocks a crapload of ports, and keeps a lot of things from working correctly.

Can you PING the printer? Go to a command prompt, and type PING {ip address of printer}
(without the brackets...)

If you can PING it, you should be able to print to it.

Another thing to try; install the printer like it was physically attached to LPT1 (the printer port), then after the software is installed, switch it to print to the jetDirect port instead. This works in situations where it can't see the network for whatever reason during the install.

Just my $0.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Try re-installing windoze.

Just my $0.02 (GST and VAT included) Keep the change.

I found a working solution and wanted to share in case someone else is having problems with this.

I don't know why the HP network install wizard fails, but it doesn't matter.

Here are the steps (in newbie fashion).

1. Find out the IP address of the desired printer. (You can get this information from the self test page of the printer, or cheat and use the HP network install wizard to detect the available printers on your network. You can always cancel at the first available option, since you know the wizard won't work for you anyway.)
2. From the Windows Desktop, go to START
3. SETTINGS
4. CONTROL PANEL
5. PRINTERS
6. ADD PRINTER
7. LOCAL PRINTER
8. NEXT
9. CREATE NEW PORT
10. Arrow down to STANDARD TCP/IP PORT
11. You will get a pop-up "Welcome to the add standard TCP/IP printer port wizard"
12. NEXT
13. In the Add Port dialog box, you need to type the IP address of your printer in the Printer Name or IP address box. The box directly below that will auto-populate with the IP information.
14. NEXT
15. FINISH

Hooray, you are finished!

lb63640...you get a star....you should write this up as a FAQ

In the future everything will work...

SMALL OFFICE STUFF:
Cable modem, LinkSys router, DLink PS121 Print Server, HP PSC 1350 printer, Win2K Pro, and WinXP home.

I assigned a static IP for the print server: 198.162.1.242. DHCP enabled, All (Norton) firewalls disabled. The router does see the server; I can also ping the server from all machines.

PROB #1: When I run the Server setup on the XP work station, the server is recognized and configured. however, I am unable to install the printer drivers (from the CD) for the network printer. The HP 1350 is not listed in XP.

PROB #2: Win2K will not see the Print server on the network thru the router, therefore I can not even start to install the printer drivers. Although I can ping it.

Any suggestions?

HP NETWORK PRINTER PROBLEMS

SMALL OFFICE NETWORK consisting of:
Cable modem, LinkSys router, DLink PS121 Print Server, HP PSC 1350 printer, Win2K Pro, and WinXP home.

I assigned a static IP for the print server: 198.162.1.242. DHCP enabled, All (Norton) firewalls disabled. The router does see the server; I can also ping the server from all machines.

PROB #1: When I run the Server setup on the XP work station, the server is recognized and configured. however, I am unable to install the printer drivers (from the CD) for the network printer. The HP 1350 is not listed in XP.

PROB #2: Win2K will not see the Print server on the network thru the router, therefore I can not even start to install the printer drivers. Although I can ping it.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back