Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a network printer on Solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremytaffy

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
What do I have to do to accomplish this?

TIA,
J

Jeremy, take a look at Thread60-461546

If that's not enough try a key word search in this forum for network printer. Cheers.

install patch
Patch-ID# 109320-08
Keywords: security in.lpd core printd jobs setuid initgroups lpr ioctl lpstat
Synopsis: SunOS 5.8: LP Patch
Date: Nov/26/2003

your IP-Printers are configured as "remote printers" delete the queue and setup the printer-queues as "local printers" using the netstandard interface for remote printing (smart trick)
A Basic Network Printer Queue

To create a print queue which prints to a network printer use the following syntax:

# lpadmin -p banana -o protocol=bsd,dest=hostname -v /dev/null -m netstandard -T unknown -I any

# enable banana

# accept banana

If you do not want to have /dev/null locked during printing you just need to create another dummyfile or a copy of /dev/null with
mknod /dev/banana c 13 2
chmod 666 /dev/banana
and change the lpadmin command above using /dev/banana

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back