Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a MODEM on sco v5.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicHemsley

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hi, I posted this on another Unix forum but got no response so hopefully someone on here may be able to help!

We have a customer who is on Sco v5.0.2. We are attempting to talk a consultant on site through how to configure the MODEM in scoadmin. Unfortunately the MODEM install instructions that we work from only work for v5.0.4 and assume that scoadmin has an option for Modem Manager within the Networks screen.

From talking to the consultant, it would appear that the version of scoadmin he is working on has limited capabilities compared to 5.0.4 or 5.0.5. Unfortunately I have never seen 5.0.2 in action so I'm a bit stuck as to how to get the MODEM configured.

Is Modem manager simply not an option on the earlier versions or does it go by a different name?

Thanks in advance

Ric

Is this for simple dial in access, or something more difficult like SLIP, PPP, or UUCP?

If you know the particular modem well, set it like so:
Serial Port BAUD rate of 9600 (fixed, not BAUD Adjust)
Disable Command ECHO
Disable Result Codes

Then, edit the /etc/inittab line for the serial port to look like this:

Se1A:234:eek:ff:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A 0

Then enable the port:
# enable /dev/tty1A

(This assumes the modem is attached to the server's COM1 port. If it's COM2, change references to tty2A. If it's a 3rd-party serial port, see their documentation for port name.)

You may try this:
mkdev modem

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks for the replies chaps.

So are you saying that Modem Manager is definately a component within v5.0.2, and you would expect it to come up from typing 'mkdev modem'? As previously stated, I've never seen 5.0.2 working so I just need to confirm that its in there somewhere!

Cheers

I've messed with SCO's modem manager in the past, but was not impressed with it. If you want your modems to work reliably you are better off setting them up manually, although you do need to know what you are doing.

Below are the configurations for a modem used for dialin only, assuming your modem is on COM1. (Note: If your modem is on a different COM port or on another serial card such as a DIGIBOARD you will need to identify the correct tty's for the modem.)

Add the following line to your /etc/gettydefs file:
Code:
o1 # B38400  HUPCL # B38400  CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 RTSFLOW CTSFLOW #\r\nlogin: # o

Modify the lines in /etc/conf/init.d/sio as follows:
Code:
Se1a:2:off:/etc/getty tty1a o1
Se1A:2:off:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A o1
(Note: The /etc/conf/init.d/sio file is only for standard COM ports. Settings for other serial cards such as DIGIBOARDS will be in a different file that is also found in the /etc/conf/init.d folder.)

Modify the lines in /etc/inittab as follows:
Code:
Se1a:2:off:/etc/getty tty1a o1
Se1A:2:off:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A o1
(Note: These lines should be the same as the ones in the /etc/conf/init.d/sio file.)

Add the following lines to your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file:
Code:
ACU tty1A - 38400 hayes2400
direct tty1A - 38400 direct
(Note: Even though you are only using the modem for dialin, the ACU setting provides the appropriate AT commands for the system to reset the modem. The hayes2400 dialer should have come with your system and works with all hayes compatible modems. If you are going to also use the modem for dialout, you may need to obtain a driver that matches your modem.)

Enter the following commands at the root prompt:
Code:
disable tty1a
disable tty1A
enable tty1A
(Note: The tty with the capital letter must be enabled for dialin access. Immediately following the enable the modem should reset, and the answer light on the modem should turn on.)

Your modem should now be configured for basic dialin capability.

As a matter of practice I use the gettydef token 2 of the rotating modem speed area and modify it to 9600 and point it back at itself and set tokens 1 & 3 to point back at themselves. I set the ACU and direct in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices to be 9600 (I've started using uuinstall to make the mods) and use the hayes2400 as the dialer. The direct device is for any changes I need to make in the modem setup thru cu. Terminal port is disabled and modem port enabled and things come up working.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Edfair, your settings will work just as well as mine, but you forgot to mention the inittab stuff.

You don't have to limit your modem speeds to 9600, but for higher speeds you should read the unix high speed modem fifoctl, TTHOG and NCLIST recommendations found in the "Adding Modems" chapter of the "SCO OpenServer Handbook" that came with the OS. For high speed dialout I also recommend using a compiled dialer over the "hayes2400" dialer, because dialers from the /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers file don't have any flow control. The dialin flow control is handled by the /etc/gettydef settings of the token you use in your inittab configuration, so as long as you aren't using dialout it doesn't matter.

Handbook"? Haven't seen one of those since 5.0.2, or maybe it was 5.0.0. For sure have them at 3.2v4.2.
Most of the stuff I support now gets to the modem through a Digi board. Lots easier configuring things.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the token # went in inittab. And since I am in a mixed modem/terminal environment I use one of the modem tokens to designate them, a number is a modem, a letter is a terminal. Plus it helps that I don't have high speed communications.

Ed Fair

Now that you mention it, the handbook I have is 5.0.0, although I'm sure they've got the same information in the man pages somewhere, if you are fortunate enough to know where to look.

So that was the logic behind the gettydef token names huh. I guess I wasn't aware of that eons ago when I first set up my modems. I named my token "o1" because I modified the default "o" token that came with the OS. Maybe I'll remember all of this 10 years from now when it comes up again. Think they'll still be using modems in 10 years?

:)

If I have to modify anything in the modem I code it in the hayes2400 answer or reset code, with the exception of those things buried in the modem itself, which is accessed by the direct device. Also gives the customer a quick dialout using "cu".

Rather than having to remember any of the other tokens and their attributes the 1,2, and 3 have remained pretty standard and the 4 lines involved have been in the 55 to 62 area. Not the only way, just the way my brain processes the tieins.

The "o" token is a late one. Can't remember if "n" was on the Xenix I started with.

Ed Fair

I donot know about earlier versions but my 5.0.6 came with one HandBook. Moreover 38400 works even in older versions e.g. 3.2.4.2.

Most of my installations dow work at that speed depending on line conditions

However, i also add -IXON -IXOFF also as i have foudn them to appear also.

sysfact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back