Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a Hd In Ecs K7ama Atx Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

caraloca

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
CA
Hi; I have a new ECS K7AMA ATX Motherboard with Onboard Audio and I am planning to build a pc.
I do not have the motherboard manual but I read in a site that I can install only a hard drive not bigger than 40g but I would like something bigger, at least 80g.
Is it possible to install a bigger one?
is there a way to do it so the motherboard will recognize it?
thank you for your help and time

The only way to find out if the MB will recognize an 80GB HD is to install one.
If it does not recognize it, then you can either update the BIOS(check the ECS site for available BIOS updates), install a PCI IDE controller card, or buy a new MB.

Well, to install one is hard because I do not have one yet and I'M planning to buy it in the internet,so if it does not work for me I'll have to send it back.
An update is a better idea, about the PCI IDE controller card, how does it works that?.
thank you for your help.

Install the PCI IDE controller card's drivers, shut down the computer, insert the card in a PCI slot, connect the hard drive to it, and start up.

OK, I will get the bios update and then install the HD. If it does not work, I'LL buy a PCI IDE controller card.
Thank you all for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back