Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a dat tape drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
On the server I am currently using I have one of those old big tape drives , Im planning to switch it out to dat drive, Do I just take it out and install the new one and everything would be fine? Or should i completely remove the old one and do a makedev tape command and install it. They are both scsi.

Best to do the remove, then install, with a kernel rebuild and reboot in between. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

In order for your new DAT drive to work correctly you will have to remove the old one (mkdev tape) and install the new one. These use different drivers, etc.... Good luck !!!

IMHO I would suggest adding the new tape drive AND keeping your existing one. It would probably be handy a couple of months from now when you have to restore something that was archived six months ago to have a tape drive that can read your old tapes. It just doesn't work right when you try and shove a 1/4" data cartridge ( or even a reel to reel ) into that dat drive. ;)

good luck
stan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back