Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a cd-rewriter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
GB
I've just bought a cd-rewriter, 52x24x52 manufactured by BTC!
No instructions in the box.
I've connected it up with power lead, and ribbon cable.
Switched the pc on, there seems to be no power going to the new cd-rw, as regard to the existing cd-rom that seems to be disabled, but power is going to it.
Also, when I switch the computer on there was no "new hardware " found.
Does one have to be the slave, there is no jumper plug in the box or on the drive, just the audio cable.
My pc meets the requirement of the drive.
Os is win 98.

Please help, what do I do to get everything working.

You cannot be looking properly??
Yes, max of two devices per IDE ribbon cable, one must be master and the other must be slave, the CDRW drive will have a series of pins situated next to the audio connection on the rear of the drive, usually three pairs of pins (top row, bottom row) master is usually the far right par of pins bridged, slave is usually centre pins bridged. (if the jumper is missing you will need to get one from somewhere)
As a CDRW drive is what we call ATAPI interface it uses generic windows drivers so windows doesn't necessarily come up with "new hardware found"
One thing that bothers me is that with a power connector plugged in, the draw at least should operate? if the drive doesn't open at all then there could be a problem with the drive itself.
But get the Slave/Master sorted first and the ribbon and power cables connected properly and go from there.
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Hi Shaw

If you have installed the cd-rw on the same ide channel (on the same data ribbon as your cd-rom) then yes, you must set one to be the slave and the other the master. The cd-rom being disabled would seem to point to this problem.

Try swapping the power connector on your cd-rw with the one on your cd-rom (as you know this connector is functional) to see if this fixes the power problem.

Strange that there is no jumper on the cd-rw drive - try changing the jumper setting on your cd-rom and see what effect it has.

Also, check out the BTC website for FAQs and Install Guides:

Good luck!

'There's no such thing as an expert, just people that have learned from more mistakes.'

As paparazi said, every IDE device should have a master, slave and cable select jumper that you can adjust.

Also, make sure the power cable is connected properly. Usually, the yellow cable of the power connector should be on the outside.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back