Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing 4.5 on a cluster server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogfather

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
We are currently in the process of installing netbackup 4.5, however we are having serious issues with the installation.

We have a physical box called pdctest4 and a logical name nbutst (this is the cluster name that can fail cross site). When installing netbackup we want to install it against the logical cluster name of nbutst.

But!!!

In the install it comes up saying that nbutst is not the master and cannot install. We have got round this by editing bp.conf so the physical name is at the top this is rubbish as we want to install it with nbutst at the top of bp.conf!

Another problem we have encountered today is running the install against the logical name you get to select which client software you want to install and in the trace file you see the path of /nbuvol/openv/netbackup/clients/Solaris etc being installed, however when the install finishes (successfully) then the /.../netbackup/client directory does not exist. But if you install it against the physical box then the install works!!!!!

Does anyoen know why you can't install 4.5 against a cluster name?

Cheers,
Mark.

NetBackup uses DNS to resolve host names. I believe with NetBackup, you have to install it using the physical machine name and not the Virtual Node Name.

We use the CD documentation (See page 771 in the Netbackup System Administrator Guide for 4.5) This describe the installation process for NB4.5 in a Cluster.

i can indeed.

Should have mentioned before that this is on a solaris box!

I know this is not relavent to the thread but I'd like to hear something about the performance running Netbackup in a cluster environment. We're planning to upgrade from 3.4 to 4.5 soon.

Right now we have the Netbackup master on just one server with no failover which scares us, some times.

We already have VCS3.5 for two Oracle databases on two Sunfire 3800 with Solaris 8 running smooth.

Thanks,
Chandu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back