Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installer runs when Office applications are started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2002
US
I upgraded a system from 98 to Windows 2000. Prior to upgrading, I had Office XP Standard installed and configured.

After upgrading, Office XP ran fine. There was, however, some problem installing a banking application on the PC. I was able to install the program after updating MS Installer to version 2.0.

After the installer update any office application, except Outlook, would start the Installer. "Preparing to Intall" runs on the screen for about two minutes. It will ask for the STD.msi file. I can point the installer to the CD, but the message come up that "This patch package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package. "

I tried to uninstall Office XP with the plan to reinstall it, but I get the same patch message.

Microsoft Knowledge Base recommends downloading and running their uninstaller, but the one available does not work with systems which have Installer 2.0. When I run it it only lists itself as an application which can be uninstalled.

I've searched for this topic elsewhere, but this specific case seems unique.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this?

Have you tried uninstalling the banking program that started all the problems? Jennifer Sigman
1/2 of the IT staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back