Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTALLER KEEPS TRYING TO INSTALL FAX PROGRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhrowland

Technical User
Aug 26, 2010
US
I have XP Home Edition. Everytime I reboot my PC, Installer tries to install a faxing program. The problem is that I have a CABLE MODEM with no faxing capabability! How do I convince Installer to stop this foolishness? The only way I can stop the attempt is use the Task Manager.

Just a guess here, but maybe go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > and uncheck "Fax Services", and reboot.

Or, see if any other fax software is installed and try uninstalling it?

Thanks for the reply. I thought of that too. No such entry. I think it has to do with some ".NET framework" program because that comes up at the same time. However, when I search through that log, nothing shows "fax" in the log. I know it's one of those small irritations when it only happens once, but when you have to mess with it everytime you turn on the PC, it really gets old in a hurry.

Desktop or notebook (brand, series)?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Do you have a printer? If so is it a multifunction that does fax?

This is an E-Machine Desktop D5039, with an HP PSC-1401 Printer. I'm currently connected directly to the internet through a cable modem, no router. I do have a wireless router, but I am not currently using it.
I have no phone line on the PC, so I have no FAX capability.
Anyway, when the Installer tries to install the program, it keeps trying, and if I do nothing, it always fails, and keeps on until I have time to brew three pots of coffee, fix breakfast, lunch and dinner, etc, etc, etc. (You get the point, I'm sure) What I need to do is stop the installer from trying to make the install.
THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO DO THIS

That printer appears to do faxing as well. It is quite possible when you installed the printer it started the fax install. You could remove the printer software and see if you can re install it minus the fax software.

See if something like this can show you anything odd that might be launching the installer at startup.

AutoRuns for Windows v9.35

See if this post can direct you to the registry location for "pending installs", even if it is not a XP thread it will probably be similar.

What happens when you launch from "Safe Mode with Networking", or from Normal Mode but with a different user?

I am not sure whether your problem has anything to do with .Net Framework, but this is a good site to know about for those type of problems.

what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help

I'm guessing that some software that you may have installed at the time this problem first occurred may be the responsible party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back