Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installed WSUS update to 3.0 sp1 and not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenaz

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
After installing the update from WSUS 2.0 to 3.0 SP1 WSUS doesn't start on booting up. After booting the server I get the message in the computer management window for WSUS:

Windows Small Business Server (Windows SBS) Update Services is not running because it automatically turns off if you customize Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). For a list of specific settings that cause Windows SBS Update Services to turn off, see the Microsoft Web site. Even if WSUS is managing updates for your network, the accuracy of the status in the Windows SBS monitoring report or on the Update Services home page cannot be guaranteed. To use Windows SBS Update Services, reverse the changes that you have made to WSUS or reinstall Windows SBS 2003 R2.

I had put off doing the update until now because the update told me I needed to uninstall the previous version first. Yesterday I uninstalled WSUS 2.0 and tried the update and it said it couldn't do the update. I had to download the file from Microsoft to install WSUS 3.0 SP1. Now it doesn't start after the reboot. Any suggestions

Maybe I just need to try starting WSUS. I haven't tried much as I didn't have time this morning and I thought I would research the problem first from home. For all I know this is normal.

I am only a part time IT guy, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Allen

noveyron,

I did pretty much what the instructions said at the first link except for disconnecting the external hard drive. I either need to find out how to start the service, or more likely uninstall it and start again without the external hard drive plugged in. It that's the problem it's too bad I just started using it about a week ago on the server.

I'll go through these links again and digest it awhile and then try again. I guess I hoped for something easier. But that's what I get trying to take this on. Should have left it alone.

Thanks for the help,

Jim Allen

noveyron,

I have followed the instructions for backing up and uninstalling WSUS. Then ran the reinstall with the external hard drive disconnected. This time the Configuration Wizard did come up and I canceled it per the instructions. I still get the message in my first post in the Server Management window. Does WSUS still use the Server Management as before, or is it only accessed by the Administrative Tools/Micorsoft Windows Server Update Services console? That seems to be working and has found all the computers. I'm not sure it has found all the updates or not. Under the Installed/Not Applicable Percentage it shows 0% for all computers. Is that how it should be?

Thanks for your patience. I wish I were a full time IT guy and knew all this.

Jim Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back