Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed Windows Server 2k3, now can't get to Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Hopefully someone can help.

I have a test PC at work that I run Ubuntu (8) on. I recently needed to install Server 2K3 to the same box for testing.

Unfortunatley it's overwritten the boot info and I don't get a choice to boot into Ubuntu

Tried reinstalling Grub but don't seem to be getting very far - any help appreciated!

TIA.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Grub needs to be reinstalled and reconfigured. did you change/remove any of the partitions when installing Windows? You may have removed grub's data files.

The easiest way would be to run grub from the command line and point it to wherever grub is installed. After that, you'd have to do some manual setup so you can start both windows and ubuntu.

Without knowing your partition layout (/boot, /, swap, and the windows partition) I can't really help with a manual installation of grub.

if your Ubuntu is a basic set up (e.g. just installed) then you maybe as well scrapping it and installing Windows first then Ubuntu on top then it will just do it all for you. It wouldn't take very long and would save a lot of messing about. Just a suggestion but if you cant reinstall then you need to be recovering boot partitions etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back