Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed Vis. studio .net, but failure with .net compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyMcClure

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
US
I just went through hours of utter frustration trying to install MS Visual studio 2005 (.net). It bombed 4 times during setup, some issue with ".net compact version 1.0."

So, what's with all the versions of .Net and all the different failures of these versions? I thought .Net would lead us out of DLL Hell. Same stuff, different name: .net hell. I need .Net framework version 1.0, version 2.0, but only if framework version 1.0 is at sp1, then I need .Net compact version 1.0, but it won't load because...who knows why?

Yet Setup said .Net framework 2.0 was installed fine. So I tried to uninstall sql server beta 2005, thinking *that* might be the cause, but the Change/Remove dialog said it couldn't because---drum roll.....

...Net 2.0 was not installed so it couldn't *install* Sql server Beta!!!

SQL 2005 is already installed! I want to un-install it! How could I have installed it without .net 2.0 (I've used sql 2005 successfully on this machine for months so I can attest to it's correct installation)

Anyway, my question is--will Microsoft every hire anyone who has *real* intelligence--not just people who wax all technical on their blogs about proprietary code that *they* wrote, as if they're a genius because *they* know the inner workings of some microsoft idiot-ware only because *they* happened to write it? They sit there on their blogs...and I can see them, with steepled fingers acting smug as we serfs gather round and kneel at their feet to listen to them telling us little snippets of the inner-sanctum, like it's glorified sprinkles of perfection. The only reason they know anything is because they wrote it and 95% of the worlds computers happen to run on it. A monkey could write code and if it's part of Windows, then as programmers we'd better learn how to work around it--stupid as it may be.

They still haven't gotten it. They're by and large incompentent fools. And unfortunately many of us have to deal with the aftermath of their debilitating slop.
--T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back