Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed Ubuntu 13.10 w/Windows 8.1, now no dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Installation looked ok. But when restarting I didn't get a dual boot page as I had gotten a couple years ago. This time my Windows 8.1 booting file got screwed. I was able to repair it with DOS commands I found somewhere (bootrec /fix...). After that I was able to boot into Win again. But never saw that booting page I used to get before so I could choose which OS to go with.
I've been reading about this, my next step will be to go into my BIOS/Booting Settings page and see if UEFI is enabled. Hopefully I'll see Ubuntu there among the choices.
Something else is, all through the Ubuntu installation I don't recall it asking me where I wanted to install it.

I hope enabling UEFI will be enough. Am I expected it to mess around with any GRUB files?

Any ideas/tips/suggestions?

Thanks guys!

JDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back