Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed and can't get X window etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graeme

MIS
Feb 6, 1999
GB
I have installed Linux on my Old Compaq PC on a 1GB partition and all seems to be working fine..!!. However I am having trouble starting the X server to get open windows etc on my screen. I just can't do with command line stuff. I have used the checklists and followed the procedure step by step to get the x server working. And all it comes back with is "This is not a binary file" Am I doing something stupid. <br>
<br>
PS I am a complete beginner to Linux and last used Unix 5 years

Most linux distributions come with Xconfigurator or X86config, etc. These are automated scripts that can help a lot. Also Redhat 5.2 autodetects very well. :)

Thanks "Festus" I have tried Xconfigurator and X86config and they both come back with the same problem. Is Red Hat a version and is it downloadable. (Excuse the newbie)

Red Hat is a distribution. are you attempting to start x with 'startx' ? <br>
<br>
How did you try to install linux? I would suggest using a distribution like Linux, SUSe, Debian, Slackware LinuxPro, Caldera Mandrake ...etc. etc. (Note: no preference or endorsement for the list above)<br>
<br>

I am also new to Linux and had a simular issue.<br>
<br>
For me I put in a more generic video card and used minimal/generic configuarions for Video and Monitor. That got me running. For most Compaq's the Video card is built in so try using the most generic/minimal configurations to get started.<br>
<br>
When I learn more I'm sure I'll be able to configure the fancy accelerated video card.

At last I got it working, using a mono monitor setting and resolution of 640 X 480. At least I know now it can be done, however 1024 X 768 would be great. I will probably give it a go and change video card. I can get an S3 setting working, but my monitor won't take the resolution setting. <br>
Thanks for all the tips chaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back