Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation via ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebbeLille

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
SE
Hi,

I've got an UNIX machine, with no floppy or cdrom, but fortunately a network interface card :)

My question now is - is there anyone who can provide me with a "userguide" for how to perform a linux-installation on this machine using my home LAN??

Reg.,
Helge
--xx--

If you are using RedHat, you can install via NFS or FTP over the network.

Need either NFS or FTP server that has all of the rpms from all of the disks in 1 dir.

Need to create the network boot floopy. The image will be on disk1, if you are using RedHat.

Boot with the boot floppy and follow instructions.

It is not very hard. I have not installed over FTP, but I have over NFS several times.

Hi,

When you say "boot with the boot floppy and follow instructions"... The UNIX machine don't have a floppy drive... so I guess I have to make it boot from the network, via the DHCP server or something... right? That's where I do need help - what tasks to perform, configuration etc...

Or maybe I misunderstood your reply???

--xx--

you can create a PXE boot server and tell to boot from PXE, but I have never installed a pxe-boot server.

try doing a google search for pxeboot.

Sorry, can't be of more help on it.

what is the "unix" machine?

There are plenty of unix machines out there that would not have floppies of cdrom drives that are not intel based.

Whats the differense??? Its a UNIX based machine that I want to install Linux on, via Ethernet...

Well I hope your ethernet card has support for PXE Boot or you can try setting up a "Unix" bootp server. Look up the how to or the man pages for a starting point. It is different for every flavor of Unix and every flavor of Linux. Visit

What architecture is this "Unix" machine??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Finally I get the time to "work" on this task again...

The machine is a Sun Sparcstation 5, with (I believe) 128 MB RAM... As mentioned earlier, no floppy or cdrom, but a NIC.

I thought I could use this machine as a DHCP, DNS, Samba server for my LAN (home LAN)....

Any suggestions for a good Linux software version for this??? And, any help on how to perform the installation is really appreciated :)

I don't have enough harddisk on any of the other machines to have a complete Linux distribution, but I guess I could use the CDROM and just be around to shift CD's.... ???

--xx--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back