Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation question for Enterprise Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVKAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2001
CA
Hi,

Our company is currently looking implementing the Black Berry Enterprise Server however I have some questions in regards to the pre-requisites.

First our environment is an NT4 based environment consisting of 1 NT4 Server (PDC + Exchange 5.5 SP4), 1 standalone Win 2K server SP2 (ERP application + MS SQL Server 2000 SP2). There are a few other servers in the environment however they are scheduled to be de-commisioned.

all of the servers mentioned meet the hardware requirements however I'm confused regarding which BlackBerry Services can be installed and co-exist and which ones can't. Our SQL server can't be changed to SQL SP3 due to our legacy ERP system and an MDAC issue.

Therefore I'd like to know whether we need to purchase a new server or can we make this work with what we have ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

It really all depends on how many users are planned to use BlackBerry handhelds connected to this system.

If you have less than 100, then an available machine could be shared for BES.

If you have over that (or expect to get over that number), then I would recommend the BES get its own hardware.

greenW,

At this point I'm not too worried about overloading our hardware as we are only planning on about 20 users for the BlackBerry system. I was more concerned with application compatibility (so that it doesn't do wierd things to our systems). The installation document is a little confusing as to what services can co-exist and and which ones can't and this needs to be installed here etc.

I'd also like to know what would be more difficult, Installing BBES software on our NT4 and Exchange 5.5 now and then upgrading/migrating to Windows 2000/2003 mixed mode AD + Exchange 2003 or waiting to install BBES after the AD upgrade/migration ? Any takers ?

Thanks

Kevin

The only installations I have done were on Win2000 servers in an AD environment.

I know that some people have had success in installing the BES right on the Exchange server for smaller corporations, as the BES doesn't require that much space (about 1Gb is recommended if you add in the Attachment Service).

If you do swith over to Exchange 2003, I would suggest you also wait for version 4 of the BES so that issues are minimized as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back