Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipesnab

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
GB
I have setup a test exchange server on our network as I am planning to incorporate exchange 2000 into our network. Please remember I am a beginner with exchange 2000 and havent had much experience:

I have run into a problem where I cannot connect to exchange mail boxes or public folders on the exchange 2000 server. I have setup an exchange mailbox on my username in AD on the server, however when I add the exchange module to my outlook 2000 The first error I get is that "your name cannot be found in the address list" ( I have checked that the mailbox name and exchange server netbios name are correct), i have to push cancel to get past this and when outlook 2000 opens it will not let me open public folders etc, says it cannot connect.

I originally installed exchange server on the network on another machine using a different name etc but had to remove it because the pc could not run exchange properly, do you think this might be causing the problems I am having? Does anyone have any suggestions? HELP

Do not type your userid but the full name you entered!
For Public folders, you will not see them if you are not connected, that is obvious.
For the server name, if in doubt, fill in the ip address to test.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I Have tried using the ip address of the machine and writing my name using all combinations that it might be but still no luck.. Do you have any other suggestions why it might not be connecting?

Can you at least 'see' the server in Windows?
Do you log on to domain, or just connect to it?

I have made sure that I can ping the server etc and can view it through windows...

I have joined the exchange server to our windows 2000 domain as is my computer that I am trying to connect to the exchange server with.

I am busy downloading exchange sp3 as i have not installed any exchange service packs yet.

Do i need to configure any settings on the exchange server before I can connect to it like set up public folders or mail boxes etc.

I wonder if me installing a previous exchange server with a different name on the network, which i had to remove, may be causing any problems?? Its really driving me mad as I need to get it up and running.

The problems can depend on the prior installation of exchange on the other machine. It is wery important that you follow MS-instructions has given on this matter. Please look at this link :
There are records in the AD configuration container that you can view in the ADSI edit tool (from Support tools on the win2000 cd).
There could also be a problem with the Outlook client of cource.

Best wishes.

Jörgen Hjärtenflo
MCT 2003

After installing Exchange sp3, the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back