Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2001
AT
Hi,

I have a lot of clients, where only the folders ..\MS\SMS\CORE and
..\MS\SMS\LOGS are present. The other folders (clicomp, sitefile,
idmifs, noidmifs) are missing. On other clients, these folders are
installed correctly.
Any idea?

Thanks a lot

Andi

There should be messages in the ..\logs folder that would help you figure out what's going on. You may find that the subnets of these clients are not in the boundaries, or that there are no components to be installed. Look at the log files and let us know what these files indicate.

In the log files that you have, search for the word ERROR. Many times, you will see more information listed as to what your exact problem is.

Also, is this an NT based client? If so, make sure the ADMIN$ is available on the client. SMS needs this to install the client.

I had one rare case where the client TCP/IP stack was corrupt (I would have never known it. Except, when I went to install the client about 1000 times, it would never install. After looking at the log files, I found that SMS search all of the subnets listed in the SMS boundaries on the SMS site server...but didn't think that this client was in one of the acceptable subnets; therefore, SMS did not install the client. I knew that the machine had an IP that was in the proper subnet. Eventually, I removed TCP/IP and the NIC logically from the NT server. I then re-installed TCP/IP and the NIC. After doing this, I was able to install the SMS client. Go figure.)

-Hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Win2K... you need File and Print Sharing enabled to get the hidden admin shares, if these are not enable the SMS client will not install, chech the site settings for the subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back