Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation problem Win2k server with TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffers

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Our Win2k server currently has office 97. I have been trying unsuccessfully to install office 2000 to no avail. I've been using the office 2k resource kit but all i get is office failed to install when i start setup. I'm using the install execute functions correctly, I'm thinking that there must have been a problem with the registry entries for Office 97.
All I really need to install is Outlook 2000, I don't want to uninstall Outlook Express in case I'm left without any mail application.
Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Can you un-install Office 97 then install Office 2000? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

We had the same issue but on local machines that would not upgrade Office.

A delightful, young, non-male, tech person at MS (what?) walked us through the reg key edits. We did not take detailed notes and I'm sure it would not be the same keys for you anyway. Use MSKB to search for reg tweaks fixing App install errors on Win2kservers. Ours was refered to as a "Installer Patch Package Error" Local Machine/SW/MS/Off/Permissions/(add Everyone w/full control)/Admins/Advanced (uncheck Inherit) etc. Those are not exact switches but you can see where the changes were made for our issue...

Try this MSKB first: 236592 (that has to do w/inheritable permissions)

Sorry, if this was not helpful:)

Is your TS server running in application mode? If it is, you have to run "change user /install" and when you are finished doing the installation run "change user /execute."

Now, about Office 2000

The Office 2000 installation needs tools from the Office Resource Kit for a successful Terminal Services installation. This kit can be found at
Once on that web site, select Deploying Office. There you will find information on installing office in a Windows Terminal Server environment.

I downloaded the Office resource kit core tool set, called ORKTools.exe and installed it in c:\Program Files\ORKTools\. During the installation, choose the custom install and terminal server tools. In Add/Rm Programs, select add new programs, when it prompts for the command to issue to install the software type in: E:\SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS="D:\TERMSRVR.MST" (copied the TERMSRVR.MST file over to the D:\ drive). Follow the installation wizard.
Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back