Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation Problem....!!!!(at Initial Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hits

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2001
IN
Hello Troubleshooters,

I had a installation of Linx (6.1 & 7) several times.
But, today I was trying to install and in very intial step I got the message like "Can not detect the device; there is error in /tmp/hda" Skip & Retry options were available.

I choose Skip, than in the Disk Druid tool I could allowed to Add two partitions only...!!!! while there is more free space is available....

Plese help me to solve this problem.

Hiten Kotak,
MCSE, 'O' Level, BrainBench (Linux, SUN Administration)
Pageraj@wilnetonline.net

Tried using fdisk instead of disk druid? It shouldn't be /tmp/hda it should be /dev/hda.

Also, you probably mean Red Hat 6.1 and 7, Linux is only at version 2.4.5.

Wipe the hard drive with everything except a magnet and try again. I've seen this sort of thing with disks previously used for M$ OSs. As GoldenEternity suggests fdisk the hdd from the M$ floppies, making sure to clear all partitions. There is also a switch in fdisk to remove the MBR from the disk which you will also have to do, but I can't remember the syntax off the top of my head, sorry. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Hello,

Ya, I can use the fdisk, but In my systems currently there is 3 partitions (3 GB FAT32, 3GB FAT32, 2 GB UnPartitioned)
in 1st parit. Winn2k prof. is there, 2nd is for Data storage
and due to that I can't remove that. So, I would like to Install a Red Hat 7 in 2 GB's unpartitioned place.

Please help me.

Thanx,

-Hits
Pageraj@wilnetonline.net

Actually, I meant to use fdisk during the linux installation. Disk Druid is a nifty graphic interface and it can make things easier on you, but fdisk is the tried and true tool.

Use fdisk to create a swap partition and at least one native linux partition on the free space. There are a few file systems that should be created on a separate partition for security, but as a new user, its may be easier to work with just the one.

Ian, its 'fdisk /mbr'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back