Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfizzle

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
US
A few years ago I learned {finally} the best way to install Win 98 was to copy the Win98 folder from the CD to the C drive and then run setup.exe from the hard drive.

Is there a similar procedure for loading XP Pro?
What folder contains the setup?

There is a way, but absolutely for XP the best way is to boot of the CD and install from there.

For example, the "Setup.exe" program for WinXP can only be run from a 32-bit version of Windows.

There is always a work-around, but as you are asking about the best way, it is to boot from the CD.

agree w/ bcastner, the best way is to boot from cd and install there, i normally copy the i386 folder to the hd after, beats having to wait for someone to track their cd down when on a support call.

to answer your question

heres a how to from mS:
instead of starting winnt from cd, copy i386 folder to hd, then follow the rest of the how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back