Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installation of IE55SP1 through SMS 2.0 with Microsoft Script (IPF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITtechnician

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
EU
Hi,

I'd like to install IE55SP1 with SMS2.0

I created a FLAT IE55SP1 installation with IEAK (tested : OK)
I downloaded the IEsetup.ipf from microsoft that I modify according to the Q223372(MS knowledge base)
When I schedule the installation through SMS 2.0, my PC reboot 3 times but nothing is installed;
The problem seems to be in the IPF file (SMS Installer)

Get Environment Variable PCMUNC into variable IENT_PATH
Execute %IENT_PATH%\ie5setup.exe

My workstation doesn't find my IE55SP1 location whe the package is executed

I'm wondering if PCMUNC is supported with SMS 2.0; see Q191341 from MS knowledge base

any experience is welcome

I've been experiencing exactly the same problem (nt 4 sp6a workstations). Have you ammended the script?

I found the reason why the script didn't find IE5 package;
You have to compile the SMS script in a 32bit-mode and not in a 16 bit mode;

My SMS 2.0 collection lists all of my workstations. The problem I am encountering is that some of the workstations aren't successfully installing components whether I push them down or manually pull down from workstation. I get the following in the collection for a handfull lf them:

Site Code = Null
Client = No
Assigned = No

Can anyone provide insight to this frustrating problem?

Thanks in advance,

-SATech

SATech,

I would start with the logs on the clients that are failing to get the components. They are very likely installing, then uninstalling for some reason. The logs will explain all!

Also, sign up to this forum and post a new thread with a better title....that way you'll get everybody else helping you out, too.

Joel

Thanks Joel...I was wondering why I couldn't find my thread...I replied to someone instead of creating a new one! I've re-added my post to the SMS forum - thanks again!
___
sjv

I am trying to locate the iesetup.ipf file. All references on the Microsoft Technet CDs and web have the documentation but no file. Could anyone please give the URL to the file.

Could you please send me the file(IESETUP.IPF)because I don't find it anywhere.
I have to install IE 5.5 and at the moment I'm blocked.
Thanks and best regards.

You have to search on the Microsoft Site on "IEAK";
(Internet Explorer Administration Kit)
I have started the deployment through SMS 2.0 on about 650 PCs;
Since Monday(2 days), about 150 PCs have successfully been installed;
the packages is quite complex; it requires 3 reboot of the PC .... but it works well;
Good luck !! or Good Tests
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back