Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of Forms 6i with 9i

Status
Not open for further replies.

dps

Programmer
Feb 2, 2001
GB
I installed oracle 9.2.0.1 Personal datbase version then installed oracle forms 6i version 6.0.8.11.3. Ineed to be able to start up forms and then be able to connect to the instance created in oracle 9i. I cannot recall how to do this. I just want forms to be able to connect to this 9i database. Is there something I have to do with the sqlnet?

Can someone please put me on the right track?

If you installed them into different homes (I hope you did it) you do need to tune your sql*net for Forms home. The easiest way to do it that I know is to define TNS_ADMIN environment (or registry) variable to point to the correct %ORACLE_HOME%\NETWORK\ADMIN directory. Of course I assume that you can connect to you Oracle instance from sql*plus located in database home.

Regards, Dima

Hi Dima,

In my own case, I have an installation of Oracle 9ias and 9ids installed in a separate homes. My main problem is that I do not know how to connect to the Oracle 9ias database. I know the previous versions of Oracle releases, like 7.3, 8.0 and 8i can use System/Manager and Scott/Tiger. Please help!!!

Timi

Is it correct: you can't connect to your database at all? I mean you even don't know whether it's running? Or rather you can not connect from Forms?

Regards, Dima

The problem is I cannor connot connect to the database at all. If the connection to the database works, I think I should be fine connecting to the Forms. I must have supplied the username and pw to use during install, but when I tried it......there was no connection established.

Timi

Now we shifted your problem to a new area. What was the error when you tried to connect from sql*plus located at the same as database home?

Regards, Dima

I have already wipped out the installation and trying a fresh install. I think it was: ORA-12203 TNS: UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DESTINATION or PROCTOCOL ERROR.

I have quite forgotten....it was sometimes ago. I am actually doing the new install tonight. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORT TELLING ME THE MOST CRICTICAL ASPECT OF THE INSTALLATION I NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO AND LASTLY......DOES IT MATTER IF I INSTALL 9ias server before either 9ids or Forms 6i. Thanks Dima.

Timi

ORA-12203 usually means that you specified HOST incorrectly. In some cases this may be caused by using default domain suffix, that is apended to the name. This in turn may be affected by sqlnet.ora or IP protocol settings . To avoid it try to specify IP address instead of DNS name in tnsnames.ora file. I suppose that you should leave your Forms attempts now and finish your database installation. The inication of fulfilling this task is the ability to manage it.

Regards, Dima

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. I will keep you informed.

Timi

I finished the installation of 9ias server sucessfully without any error. Noted my password. I noticed that I do not have any tnsnames.ora file in C:\ora9ias\network\admin. I tried this installtion twice.....nothing. All I have in admin are:(encaps, master, snmp_ro, snmp_rw) Do I need to create any database before loging in to SQL*PLUS. Here is what I got when I tried to login. ORA-12541: TNS:NO LISTNER

Can you tell me what is missing. In 8.0 and 8i, I know how to start the listener from DOS by typing lsnrctl/svrmgr or svrmgrl......PLEASE HELP ON ORACLE 9i

In Oracle 9i, you can use lsnrctl as well.
Create a listner and then create a tnsnames.ora file from sample file.
Just change the host name, protocol (if u specify different in listener configuration).

It will work.

If u have not created the database during the installation I suggest u should use Oracle data Configuration Assistant.

It will do all the step for u.
Its a GUI based tool and quite easy to understand.

Hope this helps.

Regards Zeeshan

Thanks for the quick response. I have Windows 2000, Service Pack 4. The Oracle version is 9.0.2.0.0. I have used the Net Configuration Assistance to create my listener as "timi". When I start DOS command, type owsctl start timi, I got " owsctl is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".......which I am familiar with when certain command is not recognize in DOS. Mind you, I think I do not have a "Database" created yet......how do I check to see that or to go about creating one. Lastly, is my login info in SQL*PLUS will be sys/mypw/vantage-um5jhl0. being my host string and mypw being the one I created during install or I should use System/Manager/vantage-um5jhl0. Thanks

BELLOW IS MY TNSNAMES.ORA FILE:
<alias>= [ (DESCRIPTION_LIST = # Optional depending on whether u have
# one or more descriptions
# If there is just one description, unnecessary ]
(DESCRIPTION=
[ (SDU=2048) ] # Optional, defaults to 2048
# Can take values between 512 and 32K
[ (ADDRESS_LIST= # Optional depending on whether u have
# one or more addresses
# If there is just one address, unnecessary ]
(ADDRESS=
[ (COMMUNITY=<community_name>) ]
(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=<hostname>)
(PORT=<portnumber (1521 is a standard port used)>)
)
[ (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=ipc)
(KEY=<ipckey (PNPKEY is a standard key used)>)
)
]
[ (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=decnet)
(NODE=<nodename>)
(OBJECT=<objectname>)
)
]
... # More addresses
[ ) ] # Optional depending on whether ADDRESS_LIST is used or not
[ (CONNECT_DATA=
(SID=<oracle_sid>)
[ (GLOBAL_NAME=<global_database_name>) ]
)
]
[ (SOURCE_ROUTE=yes) ]
)
(DESCRIPTION=
[ (SDU=2048) ] # Optional, defaults to 2048
# Can take values between 512 and 32K
[ (ADDRESS_LIST= ] # Optional depending on whether u have more
# than one address or not
# If there is just one address, unnecessary
(ADDRESS
(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=<ORACORP>)
(PORT=<1521>)
)
[ (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=ipc)
(KEY=<ipckey (PNPKEY is a standard key used)>)
)
]
... # More addresses
[ ) ] # Optional depending on whether ADDRESS_LIST
# is being used
[ (CONNECT_DATA=
(SID=<oracle_sid>)
)
]
[ (SOURCE_ROUTE=yes) ]
)
[ (CONNECT_DATA=
(SID=<oracle_sid>)
)
]

Thanks guys, the issue has been resolved. I downloaded the Oracle9i Database Enterprise/Standard/Personal Edition for Windows NT/2000/XP. I was able to connect fine, also with 9ids Forms/Reports and SQL NAVIGATOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back