Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation fails - application event log item

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkate

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US
This relates to any installation in the form of an .msi (uses the Windows Installer Service):

If you ever encounter an installation that seems to "die", with no error dialog at all (for me, it was always at the beginning of the Progress Dialog, right after clicking Next on the Start Installation Dialog), check the Application Log in the Event Viewer.

If you find an Installer error with an Event Id of 11708 and a description of "Installation Operation Failed", check permissions first. There are a few other suggestions out there on the net, but I bet 99% of all these cases are permissions problems. Check the permissions on all folders that are involved with the installation. My .msi was an upgrade, so there were a few folders besides system folders that I had to check. Ensure that all related users are in the proper local groups and domain groups. Also make sure that these groups have necessary permissions on all folders involved in the installation. Be sure to be very thorough, and try as many combinations as possible. You may have to double, triple, and quadruple check as we did but you will eventually solve the problem.

Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back