Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdam

Programmer
Oct 28, 2001
AR
Good afternoon:

I have a problem.

When I try to install a programm appears a message that says:

Setup (Installation) error: 827
Object: 11
One or more of installation files could be damaged.
Try to install again

Obviously if "trying again" would work I wouldn't be here...

Excuse my English. I hope you understand

Thank you.

Héctor

Well, Mike:

I'm using VFP 6.0 and I'm using the native option. "Wizards->Setup (or instalation)"

I'm using a Spanish version so the words could be different from your version.

I was using 5.0 and I needed 6.0 at least. A few weeks ago I started programming under 6.0 and I could generate a couple of systems that installs well. Unfortunaly I had to reinstall W XP on my PC and, of course, had to install VFP too.

Now I'm trying to reproduce what I was doing only a week ago and everything seemed to work well until I chek an installation... Since a few hours the world falls over my head...

Thank you.

Héctor

Hector,

The tool you are referring to is the VFP Setup Wizard.

I haven't used the Setup Wizard for over five years (it was discontinued in VFP 7.0), and unfortunately can no longer find any notes or other information about it. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

I hope someone else here can answer your question.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Mike:

I really thank you for answering.

Actually I tested 7.0 but some functions I have programmed under 5.0 didn't work like I needed. So instead of looking for the reasons (no one could explain me) I prefered to go back to 6.0 with the hope it works well and so happened.

Yesterday I continued trying and finally I coud "sing Victory" because I found that there is a file among the installation files which has the famous "objects" inside and I found the "object 11" different from others lines in the file... (two numbers together instead of separated). I inserted a blank space between them and I finished my working for yesterday. I inserted a F1 Game CD and I was running Grand Prixs for the rest of the day...

I had to share this experience with someone...

Thank yoy very much, Mike, from Argentina.

Héctor

Hector,

I'm delighted to hear that you've solved your problem.

However, you said "I tested 7.0 but some functions I have programmed under 5.0 didn't work like I needed. So instead of looking for the reasons (no one could explain me) I prefered to go back to 6.0""

Putting to one side the install problems, I would urge you to try again to overcome the problems you had with 7.0. If you already own 7.0, it will give you a much better experience than 6.0. In fact, I recommend you go even further and get VFP 9.0, which is very much better than all earlier versions.

Don't forget that the members of these forums will help you solve any problems you have with these upgrades. And, while I see that your English is very good, there is also a Spanish forum at
Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Mike:

7.0 was very different from 5.0 starting for my 5.0 version was in Spanish and I only got 7.0 in English. If my problems and doubts was a few of course I'd asked for help (in fact I did it and the only response I got was "Perhaps there is any environement difference between 5.0 and 7.0?") but I'm alone and when I saw the new installation system I scared a little... (like the first time I started programming...)

I must mark that my base is Clipper 5.2 and that old and dear language is still giving me to buy sandwhiches and will go on for a few years... (I hope) So I'm not so deseperate but when I find a problem like the one which starts this dialogue I hate Windows and all its programmers (from Microsoft)

I hope in about five year I will be swimming like a fish in the water but now I seem a baby rounded by unknown uncles...

Thanks.

Héctor

I recall sometime ago in Version 6 that the error was caused because there was no icon (.ico) in the folder where your files are. To remedy this, I placed an .ico file in the folder concerned and during step 6 of the setup wizard chose that icon for the program group menu item.

It worked and the error was no more!

Hope that helps

KB

Keepingbusy:

I thank you very much but that wasn't the problem. Under 5.0 if there's not .ico there's not problem. I don't know in 6.0.

The big problem at installation time is that there's not a good description. For example the first time I tried to install a system under 5.0 appears "Object 10 error etc.". I had travelled 11 (eleven) and half hour for arrive and find that message on the screen... Obviously I hadn't test the installation at home. My truly system was under D.O.S. and the Visual Fox one was to presume...

I was trying for a couple of hours and finally I discovered that the problem was my executable name. VFP allows me to name an executable like "riocuarto.exe" ("Fourth River" a city in my country, Argentina) but when you want to install it marks an error because of the length of the name that must be 8 or less like under D.O.S.

I solved the problem when I rename my executable like "R4.EXE" and I could presume anyway...

Thank you

Héctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back