Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install won't find Install Image on FC CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddmcp2000

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2005
US
I have a Dell server - PowerEdge 2200... Maxed out with Dual 333's, 512MB, and (3) 18G drives. The internal 18G drives and two CD-ROMS are hung off the integrated SCSI controller, and there are (4) 47G drives in an enclosure hanging off an add-in 2940UW PCI SCSI controller.

Windows 2K Server ran perfectly fine on this machine, ALL I DID was low-level these drives using the SCSI controller utility, to try Fedora (any of the flavors would do - I can certainly update to the latest one, AFTER installation). I tried to re-install 2K, and it goes...

I have tried to boot with a floppy boot system AND right off the CD - FC1, FC2, FC3, and FC4... they ALL boot fine. The Media is good, as I have checked them all with another machine. They all boot, they even install the AIC-7xxx driver - this tells me the controller IS being seen - but when I get to telling the install dialog where the install image is, (Local CD-ROM) it tells me "The install image is not found on the local CD-ROM" (or somethin like that...), and spits it out... If it spits it out, wouldn't that mean the OS is seeing the CD-ROM, which means the diver is, at least, usable?

The only thing I HAVE NOT tried, is hanging ALL of the SCSI devices off the Adaptec card, in the hopes that maybe the integrated controller is just different enough that the OS can't actually look at the media in the drive. I'll try that when I get home tonight, but otherwise, is there anything else I might try? Any suggestions would be helpful...

Not exactly a Linux wizard, never really used it much at all - "exceptionally novice" would be an appropriate description, so ANY help would be good...

Thanks!

If there is no way for me to install from the CD, can somebody tell me how to install from the internet, by downloading the files? There is that option open to me as well (on the "image source selection" page)...

SCSI, hung off the internal (integrated) controller...

What make and model is your integrated SCSI? Can you connect your CDROM to your Adaptec-2940UW?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Whelp, I connected the internal devices to the Adaptec card. Same issue. BUT, I decided to try the other CDROM, (all I had to do was find a caddy - LOL) and lo and behold, it worked... what up with that. It's only a 4X Plextor, so I'm gonna be installing this 'till next week, but for now, it seems to have fixed the problem! All I need to do now is HOPE that the other CD-ROM will be seen by the OS, after installation... If it isn't seen, can y'all help a LiNUX newb fix the issue?

I'll let ya all know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back