Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install windows and linux both

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpn2012

Instructor
Jan 8, 2012
I have windows operating system and i want to install Linux but I'm afraid to loss my data what the scenario(partitioning only) i will using to install Linux and windows both each other and not lost my data.
Note: my hard disk have space 150gb(c:50 d:50 e:50 )
thanks

In order to install Linux in a dual boot fashion is fairly easy if you already have Windows installed, but you need free space on your disk that is not already partitioned and has data stored. If you can move data from let's say drive e: to drive d: and delete the e: partition, you can have the Linux install create a new partition for you.
Another alternative is to run one of the free versions of VM hypervisors (Hyper-V, Vmware Server, etc) and run Linux as VM (as this nowadays seems to be a preferred method of experimenting)

The most commonly used tool is called GParted (Which I think stands for GNU Partition Editor). This tool is included in most liveCD installations. I have used it on several occasions to resize and manipulate the partitions of a Windows system. As of yet, I have not had any problems. A couple of things:

1 - If you are concerned about loosing your data, perform a backup.
2 - Backup your Windows registry for extra precautions as this will impact programs you have installed.

One *important* suggestion is to make ONE change to the NTFS file system and then reboot into Windows and let it run it's integrity checks. Then make the next change and repeat the reboot into Windows. I forget where I read this or why it is important, but I understand it to be one of the keys to safely making these types of alterations.

If you are REALLY concerned about loss of data, get a second HD and either ghost your existing one to some free space and install Linux in the remaining space, or just install Linux on the 2nd HDD.

Installing Linux will modify the boot loader. Linux will co-habitate with other operating systems, whereas Windows will delete the references to others.

What is your requirement for Linux ?

A very safe way (safe in not messing with your existing data) is install Oracle VirtualBox and then you can install Linux, Mac, Solaris or even another Windows virtual machine without much risk to your existing data and without all that phaff of re-dimensioning your disk.

And you can have them both running at the same time switching between then as you like.

Laurie.

Another vote for tarn's solution, that's the way I do it.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Most Modern distros will happily re-size a windows partition to make space for the Linux instal.
I have not heard on this going wrong for a long time but would still always recommend backing up vital data first.
getting a disk image is even better if you can.

alternatively as hard disks are so cheap nowadays why not install Linux on a 2nd drive & avoid writing to the windows drive completely?

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

Is this a trick question? Why would one dual boot a linux server? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back