Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Win xp without disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisco52

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
US
I have Windows 98 on my computer and I want to use Partition Magic7 to create a partition to install Windows XP, so I can have a dual-boot setup. Trouble is, my little brother sat on my new Windows XP disc and broke it. A few days before this happened, I manage to put the entire disc contents on a zip file which is on my hard drive. How can I install Windows XP without the cd. I don't have a cd burner or I would just burn the zip contents to a cd. Is it possible to install a program from the current hard drive to the newly partitioned hard drive?

You should be able to just copy it to your harddrive and install from there. Assuming you still have the serial number

fluteplr is correct. Having the cd contents on your HDD is the same as having the cd. You just gotta make sure that you point it to the right folder.... obviously. =P But having the files on the HDD can, as is the case with all files, corrupt the files and if you gotta R&R (remove and reinstall) stuff then you might get dodgy installs of whatever you are trying to install... El Presidente!!

Adapt this to your situation.

HOW TO: Start Setup from MS-DOS in Windows XP (Q307848)

Something a bit different to try if your stuck. You could convert your XP I386 files to a bootable CD (if you copied the extra files required from the original CD or can get hold of them).

You will need a CD Writer and third party CD burning software or access to a machine with it, (XP's self contained burning software wont create a bootable CD).

The instructions and software for creating a bootable XP Pro CD can be found here. The software is freeware and a small download of about 640kb in a zip file.

In either case you are going to need your 25 digit Product Key.

Have you tried Microsoft to see if there is any chance of getting a replacement CD for the damaged one?

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP (Q306559)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back