Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTALL WIN 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenorJones

Technical User
May 30, 2001
AU
While installing WIN 98 via CD and using a boot disk onto a reformatted HD, PII, I get thru the procedure nicely as outlined in the microsoft instructions in When I get to the stage of typing in E:\setup I get the following:
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
I know this procedure should be easy but it hasn't been so far. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
"Deliver MORE than you promise"

You don't need that back-slash. Type E:setup (if that is your CD-ROM). "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I think I tried every combination possible nobrain but just in case I will try again. I even changed directories into E drive (which is definately the CD ROM) and typed setup, with no luck either, same reply as above !!!! Thanks anyway "Deliver MORE than you promise"

Are you dealing with an upgrade version? Shouldn't make a difference, but curious.
Do a dir and see if there is a win98 directory, this to verify that you are really on the cd since the bootup floppy creates a ram drive that gets in the drive chain.
Go to the win98 directory and try setup from there.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Try to boot from the CD directly.

You'll need to change the order of devices in the BIOS.

Try this. Boot to a win98 bootdisk - enabling cdrom support.- From A: Type in:
c: (enter)
At c: type in:
mkdir win98 (enter)
Then change to your CDrom drive (will use E: as example )
Type in :
e: (enter)
With your win98 cd inserted
E: Type in:
cd win98 (enter)
Then type in:
copy *.* c:\win98 (enter)
This will copy all of the cab files needed to install win 98 directly to your HD.
After it finishes copying the files - remove the cd and type in the following:
c: (enter)
Then type the following:
cd win98 (enter)
Then: setup.exe (enter)

This should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back