Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Win 2k8 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph1ladm1n

Technical User
Dec 15, 2008
US
Situation: Currently have two Windows 2k3 R2 servers with a mix of 2k, xp pro, and 2k3 member servers on our rack. One of my two 2k3 R2 servers is running DNS and DHCP services, bothe designed as file servers. These two will be replaced with 2 new servers that will have 2k8 server installed. I wish to do a fresh install not an upgrade from the 2k3 servers. I do want,however, the users in AD. My question is, what are the detailed steps must I take (step 1, step 2...) to replace the 2k3 servers? Must add that, this will be my first transitions from 2k3 to 2k8, just not sure on the best procedure???

Any info is appreciated,

You're kidding, right? Would you like us to do the work as well? If you'd actually search this site, you'd see this has already been discussed - ad nauseum.

Try doing some research.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

You know, a lot of people charge money for that kind of expertise...

BTW, Pat, I love the tag line. If I had a nickel for every time someone bought storage for capacity and then couldn't figure out why their performance was so bad (especially with virtualization) I could retire today!

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thanks. I bet I spend 1/2 my time either tracking down performance problems, or trying to explain the cause to companies too cheap to implement the solution as I designed it. If they'd only listen...

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Lets face it guys, many IT "professionals" do not have the time to research and read numerous giga-page books so they have knowledge to plan for performance and capacity; as if we have the extra time <grin>. Instead of planning they pick, cross their fingers, and hope for the best,counting on forum members with real knowledge to change their diapers if all does not go as planned.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

You guys are just rude! You could "not answer the question" with a little tact. What's up with that?

kmcferrin and 58sniper stated everything worth stating. Anything more and I would consider paying them for doing the leg work. B-)

Ph1ladm1n, get a M$ TechNet subscription and you can practice your scenario all you want without any real consequences. If you do not have the working knowledge then consider outside expertise (i.e. consultant), not forum support. Most people in the forums (I for one) will gladly help on a task, not the entire process.

[pipe]

As has been said alreay please do some research into this and then come back if you have specific questions..

Check the link below as well for some pointers..

Paul
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back