Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install W2K Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDaveM

Vendor
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have a client who has lost the win32/sys/config file. Repairing doesn't fix the problem. He is going to reload W2K and save his data. He wants to reformat his 20GB hard drive. How should the hard drive be partioned?, i.e. "c" for "OS", "d" for programs and "e" for data. Will this aid in the next time he has a failure, where he only has to reload the "OS" or if he has to reload the programs?
Thanks,
Dave

In ye olde days, just having a copy of the program on a separate parition would have afforded him some degree of protection. Modern software, though, is pretty heavily integrated into not only Windows' DLL collection but also Windows' registry, and hence generally needs to be reinstalled anytime the OS is replaced wholesale.

NickC---

i always make 2 partitions C: for OS and APPS
D: for data a storage

This is just my personal opinion this way you can even reload the OS onto the first partition and all of you data is still there no need to recopy it back to the drive.
THIS DOES NOT MEAN TO IGNORE BACKUPS
just wanting to make that known

Best of luck
Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

If you can reinstall without reformatting all the data will still be there.

data will be still there
if you do that, why don't you do a repair instead of a re-install ?

Just a word of warning... Installing a clean OS on top of a corrupted one most frequently causes problems to magnify after a few short weeks of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back