Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install virus software on infected machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopwise

Technical User
Sep 22, 2008
US
I believe my laptop running Vista Home Pro is infected with a virus as I've pushed off installing virus protection on it and it is now behaving strange.

When it is turned on, clicking on any icon does nothing.
When it is turned on in safe mode, the applications work, except for the internet which means that I cannot download virus protection/removal software. Also, text is missing and only icons show without associated text.

I've also attempted inserting a disk containing virus protection software. While the disk is recognized, when I choose to install, it seems to initialize but then prompts me. Since there are only icons and no text, I cannot view the message that is being prompted.

>My question is, is there a way to get any software installed onto my machine that will rid it of the virus in any other manner other than starting in safe mode?

Take a look:

thread760-1521235

it is a bootable CD which will scan the HDD's while the OS is not in the picture, which is a great benefit over any installed AV software...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back