Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install/upgrade/migrate situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvilJunkie

Programmer
Mar 21, 2014
US
Hey all,

Wanted to run a scenario by the forum to see if there’s a better way to do this or if my plan is sound:

Scenario

Today customer has a physical server edition ( Primary and Secondary) along with 2 expansion controllers in the same physical network as the Primary. The system is running 9.1.

The goal is to replace the Primary server with a VM in a new facility and convert their current physical primary server to a physical local secondary server for phone/voicemail/sip trunk failover and upgrade all components to match the new vm at 11.1.2.

They will eventually be moving out of their current Primary site and moving to the new location as their main facility but keeping the old space as well.

My plan was to restore the voicemail backup to the new server ahead of time as this won’t conflict with the production system. Then while onsite during the outage window, take the current SE backup and apply only the server config to the new VM and modify the config for the IP’s, routes and expansion lines. Then remove the secondary and expansions from the current solution, apply the modified config to the secondary physical server, then join the server and control units to the new server and then upgrade all components through the web of the primary server.

My 2 main concerns were joining the controller and server at a lower release ( I’ve never tried to add to a solution on a different major release) and upgrading the secondary server through the primary as I believe you need to use the thumb drive method and it wouldn’t upgrade through the web access method.

There’s a lot of moving parts on this one and wanted to see if anyone sees a major flaw in this plan or knows of an easier way to accomplish the above.

I completely understand if anyone needs further explanation to assist but tried cover it as much as possible.

My advice is do not upgrade to 11.1.2

There are lots of issues with the release, I currently have over 12 support tickets with them after upgrading to 11.1.2.

Save yourself a lot of time and headache - don't upgrade to 11.1.2 - wait for the next service pack and hopefully, all the fixes will be included in that.

Thanks but I would apply the question to that release as well. Taking out the possible bugs of the software I was wondering more about the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back