Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Teradata v2r3 on NCR4300 UNIX MP-RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeYo

Programmer
Mar 6, 2001
JP
My teradata knowledge is small but in the process of learning new stuffs.

I am in the process of installing an SMP here in our office. We used to be a part of NCR and was able to be trained on the basics of teradata.

I already installed UNIX and got the /nssoft mounted already. Is /dev/pdedump really that important for the 4300 system?

The steps are not quite clear to me. I tried installing the PDE package. But when i tried running the command /unix-soft/....../activate_pde 03.00.03.00 I got an error message. Can't run xmppconfig also. What seems to be wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Teradata by default uses /dev/dump to store our database crashdumps. the problem is MPRAS also uses /dev/dump to store UNIX level PANIC dumps. this means that if you PANIC your system you will wipe out all your DBS level dumps that haven't yet been saved.

therefore we invented /dev/pdedump to store out DBS level crash dumps so that we don't lose them.

If you aren't going to report errors to the Teradata GSC or debug the crashes your self there is no reason to have the /dev/pdedump.

Hope this clarifies what /dev/pdedump is for.

/unix-soft/....../activate_pde 03.00.03.00 I got an error message. Can't run xmppconfig also.

I got this the first time I tried to install as well. SInce this 4300 is a single node machine try....

...../activate_pde -l -f 03.00.03.00

Actually hopefully you have this system upgraded by now and are runing v2r4. WE just released V2r4.1 2 weeks ago.

if you need anything else let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back