Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Stops in the middle without Error?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT2000

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
RU
Hello people,
I'm trying to install W2K Professional on a Pentium II 4XX mghz processor, with 128MB RAM. Once Windows 2000 starts up after the initial install (blue screen and formatting) it begins to install drivers for all devices, such as the mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc, etc...., the install process stops in the middle with out any error notices and the computer itself does not freeze, only the installation stops.
i tried to install all the installation files onto the local disk, but that didn't help. The problem here I believe is that BIOS cannot read the CD ROM, although it can boot from it for some reason, as well as install the startup files for the W2K install. I tried using different CD ROMS but that didn't help either.
I'm now almost sure that the problem lies with the Motherboard, its a old ASUS P2V. I just want to see if there's anything else to be done to this old comp before I donate its organs to some other better cause. Thanx people!
Mike

I agree with EchoEcho but you can also try make a set of boot floppies.

On the Win2k CD in the BootDisk folder you will find MAKEBOOT.EXE and MAKEBT32.EXE utilities.

The MAKEBOOT.EXE is for a clean install and MAKEBT32.EXE is for an upgrade. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Agreed. You might also test another OS, just for grins and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back