Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install software from remote location

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbycub

MIS
Feb 10, 2003
CN
Hi everyone,

I am a total beginner in Solaris, the question I am going to ask might have been asked before but I couldn't find the thread anywhere.

Anyway, I need to install some 3rd party software, eg. Vignette Storyserver, into a Solaris 8 system. The problem is that the server is physically located in another country and I don't think I will go there. My only access to this system is via Telnet.

I had heard from people that it is possible to perform remote installations via Telnet, so how do I go about doing it?

I need step by step guidance, including command lines, on how to perform remote installations.

Thanks in advance!

What is the installation medium, a CD? Images? A .tar.gz file? The first step is actually getting the software either on to the host or visible to that host across the network. Annihilannic.

ftp the software to the server and then telnet to install. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

The installer is on a CD. Can the server read from my local CD ROM?

Oh, I forgot to add. The machine I telnet from is on Windows NT. I read from somewhere that the commands go like the ones below. However, it seems like they meant the remote machine to be another Solaris box. Is it possible to do it on a Windows box?

At the remote system, key in

#share -F nfs -o -ro /cdrom/cdrom0

This sets up /cdrom/cdrom0 as an NFS shared file system.

Go to local system where you want to install the software

#mount remotesys:/cdrom/cdrom0 /mountpoint

What does all these mean?

Thanks again!

The server can not read from a Windows NT CD-ROM unless you have some software installed that allows it to act as an NFS server.

Try 'zip'ping the contents of the CD and FTPing on to the Solaris 8 system as Luc suggested; 'unzip' it into a temporary directory and then try installing from there. Annihilannic.

How do I ftp the files downloaded into the server? I have WSFTP, do I need to configure the server to accept ftps? How do I go about doing it?

Thanks!

Your server is most probably already set up to accept FTPs. Try connecting to it with WS-FTP using your normal 'telnet' logon. Annihilannic.

I've tried that but kept getting the error: "530 Login incorrect! Logon failure, so quitting"

I telnet into the server using, say telnet 123.123.123.123

On WSFTP, I used the following info in Session Properties:

Host name/ip address: 123.123.123.123
host type: sun solaris
user id: root
password: <root password>
The rest are blank.

Is this how you use WSFTP? If not, how?

Thanks!

Hmm. root is frequently listed in /etc/ftpusers thus denying access to FTP for security reasons. Do you have any non-root logons you can try? Annihilannic.

I'm with annihil on this one, you are more than likely forbidden to access it as root. Telnet in(better yet ssh if you have it installed) as a regular user, and su to root. This will allow you to install. To place the files, it would be easier to put the files to the server, again, you won't probably be able to do this as root, but you can place them in the regular users or ftp user's home directory, then install from there as root.

Thanks for the information, Annihilannic and williambishop. Right now, I do not have any access to the server from home. I'll try it out tomorrow and get back with the results.

Thanks everyone, I managed to perform ftp using another account!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back