Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install printer by a script

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineuity

Technical User
Oct 4, 2005
US
Hi, I am trying to create a python script to install a set of network printers. I have had success using an os.popen statement, using rundll32 and printui.dll. This takes way too long. Can someone point me in a quicker direction?

thanks

Hi Engineuity,

Can you post an example of the code you are using, so that we have something concrete to think on?

Great handle, BTW!

Regards,

- Problemsolver

Actually, I JUST finished the program. I ended up using AddPrinter() from the win32print library. Also, I was told that the delay was more from the driver download off the network instead of the command. I can post the code if you want, but for use it will need to be modified.

I posted the same question up on about 4 other forums, and this is my first response on any. So thank you ProblemSolver. I hope to give back to this community in some way because of you.

Hi Engineuity,

Thanks for replying even though you solved the problem already, and it would still be nice to see your code as an example.

Best wishes,

- ProblemSolver

Hey, sorry I havent posted the code up yet, I have been making changes to the UI. I had to strip alot out of the code...but you can view it at
clam[dot]rutgers[dot]edu/~mattchan/temp/Printer_Setup_Utility.pyw

im still trying to work out some bugs...and I think I should switch the program around a little, like instead of using the the class as a panel, I should have it as a frame and then insert panels. Im not too confident with converting it over though...do you have any suggestions on where I can learn frames and panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back