Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install or PACs and Oracle 9i for safe operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

neumonic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2009
US
I have assembled 2 servers with OS C:drive, Raid 5 array E:drive and supplemental Raid 1 array F:. Both servers have A: and D:drives as well. I am running Win2003 standard and installing third party PACs that uses Oracle9i for the backend Db.
These servers are replacing 2 older servers that have been in place for 6+year. One on site and the other in our data room. On the old servers the PACs software was installed on C: and moved to E: and the Oracle Db was installed on E:,which at the time was just under a Terabyte array.
The third party PACs technicians installed similar setup on one new server and then changed the install for the second server by installing the Db on the C: drive. Now i know they are going to be storing the actual data or images on E: but why would you put the DB scheme in a drive that is not Raid protected.
Does Oracle 9i function better on the boot drive or are the techs just flying by the seat of their pants and in a hurry.
The whole idea of having identical servers is to have the ability, in an emergency, of swapping them out.
Am I being anal here or should I go back and make them install on the E:array?
I want to get this right the first time and not have problems for another 6 or 7 years.

regardless of the choice of the configuration / installation for me the most important thing is that they are consistant. both servers should be configured identically.
i would have them back in and get both servers looking the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back