Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install on unsupported processor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello everyone..

I'm trying to get Exchange 2007 installed on a win2k3 R2 machine with a unsupported processor type. It's a celeron, but it's just a test machine!

I get this error each time I try to run setup from the DVD:

"The installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor"

Anyone know how I can get around this processor check???

You need to put the 32 bit disk in. 64 bit disk won't work.

Sorry, to clarify, you've got a 32 bit processor with a 32 bit OS. Exchange 2007 needs 64 bit so you need to use the Exchange 2007 32 bit beta.

erm... it doesn't say x64 or x32 on the disk.. suppose that means it's x64 huh? argg..

thanks..

Exchange 2007 official release disk can only be 64 bit. The only 32 bit Exchange 2007 is the beta2 which is for testing only in non production environments.

10-4... just found my beta 2 disk and it's workin..

Thanks! You deserve a star for not making fun of my attempt to do something without understanding exactly what I was trying to do!

:)

There are plenty of questions out there worthy of making fun - this wasn't one. You'll have to try harder next time!!!

Ok, here's another good one for ya..

Why the heck did they remove the exchange options from active directory users and computers? Is it seriously all done through scripting now, and using the shell?

I understand they wanted to separate domain and exchange admin points, but honestly...what a shocker.

Is there anyway to manage new users and what not without using scripting?

It's in Exchange Managment Console. When you create new mailbox, it will create "new user" + "new mailbox"....

wow..

Maybe it's just going to take getting used to it before I fully understand the reasoning..

Things get moved around to "better" places - sometimes an upgrade can be a step back. I'm not saying this is a step backwards but there have been some mighty odd decisions in places :)

Yea, i can only imagine... I'm currently installing Share Point Services to see how they plan on moving public folders away from Exchange.

as of now, i'm hoping they take Exchange 2003 all the way to service pack 10!! HA!

2007 is an impressive product. You can use Public Folders entirely the same way you are doing now only the setup is a bit more fiddly :)

The major trouble is that there has been so much change that Joe Punter can't find anything and the release date meant that there are a few items that don't have GUIs.

I just wish they'd make the console run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back