Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install of network printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
GB
I have an hp960 attached to server via lpt1 and brother1240 laserjet attached to network via a mini printserver.Server runs W2000. I have deleted the laserjet from system and now want to reinstall it but am having no luck with this through add printer wizard. After what seems a good install of drivers so the printers folder does not show the laserjet. Is there a particular way of installing a printer onto a network? Could someone help before i have an enormous pcshaped hole in my window
yours
tim7

Which machine are you trying to install it on? The one it's attached to or your print server?

OnlineII,

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to install the 1240 onto the network via a printserver which is attached to the back of the printer and connects via a lead into the network. I hope I have used the correct terminology as this is how it was described for me. The printserver is small enough to hold in the hand and has power from the mains.
Tim 7

Print servers must be configured first. Find out what ip address the print server has. You do this by ensuring that the printer is connected to the print server and that both are powered up. Push the small button once on the print server. This will print a configuration page on the printer. This page will show all the details of the print server. To see if your print server's connectivity is properly functioning you can try opening your web browser and typing in the IP address next to http:// and hit enter. You should see your print server (One exception to this is if your print server does not have EWS (Embedded Web Server)In that case try pinging the address by opening a dos prompt and typing ping (IP Address)xxx.xx.xx.xxx If it is there you will get a reply from IP. If not it will timeout. If it timed out check your cabling, also whatever that cable is plugged into and verify the config page which you ran off the printer. How is the print server getting it's IP address. In other words is it static or DHCP etc..... Once you have connectivity the next step would be to install the printer. You have two choices here. Adding the printer on the server or your workstation. I am of the understanding that win2k can print directly to the print server port via it's ip address bypassing your network servers altogether. Either way your choice. Server side click start/settings/printers/add printer. Select next at the welcome to the add printer wizard screen, select network printer, find the print server port NPIXXXX for HP print servers, then click next assign a share name just follow the prompt. Try printing a test page from the server. On the workstation click start/settings/printers/add printer. Select next at the welcome to the add printer wizard screen, select network printer, click next without typing a name to browse the network. Find your printer by selecting the share name you assigned at the server follow the prompts. Once done it should work. Make sure that you have the approriate printer drivers for win2000 or other operating systems. If this still did not work the we'll cheet. Remove all printers from the work station. The system will ask you if you want to remove all drivers for those printers, click yes. Next add the printer on your workstation locally as if it were connected to you workstation. Then right click on the printers properties select the ports tab click add port select standard tcp/ip port click new port, click next put the ip address in click next etcc. just follow the prompts. Surely one of the above will get you success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back